6/19/17

Conserve Letterforms!

Many years ago I remember a graphic artist talking about a logo he'd designed. I don't remember who the person was or exactly what the logo was for (I think a waterside community), but I do remember the logo's claim to fame: It was a seven-letter word that used just three letterforms.

Here's a rendition of what I remember it looking like, using a "b," "h" and "e" from the font Bauhaus Bugler medium:
As you can see, the "b" and "d" are flopped versions of each other, and the "ay" is "he" rotated 180ยบ. What reminded me of this was seeing Hulu's logo recently. It uses just two shapes, one a combination of the two:
Aside: This sort of feat is one that's best appreciated on an intellectual level. And it's pretty cool in that regard. But it's a step removed from a logo's purpose, which includes projecting a certain image or feeling. How effectively do you think these two work in that regard?